International Comfort Products and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “ICP”), are committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our websites (“Website”) and users of our mobile applications (“Apps”) and connected thermostats, controls, cameras and other products (collectively, “Connected Products”). It is important that our users understand how we collect, use and disclose Personal Information (as defined below). ICP has implemented technical, administrative and physical measures to safeguard any personal information that we may collect.
This Privacy Notice describes our practices related to Personal Information collected through ICP Websites, Apps, and Connected Products, in each case unless there is a separate privacy notice for a particular website, mobile application or product.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES ICP COLLECT? HOW DOES ICP COLLECT SUCH INFORMATION?
“Personal Information” is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Categories of Personal Information Collected
- Contact Information, such as name, physical address, phone number and email address, which you or your contractor provides.
- Basic Product Information, such as information about the product you are registering and the person/company that installed or maintains it, recommended products and other products that may be of interest to you, and setup information you or your contractor provides.
- Automatically Collected Information from your Connected Products, such as environmental data from a thermostat or control’s sensors and video from cameras, heating and cooling usage information from connected HVAC equipment (including statuses and schedules), and other technical information from your product and connected equipment. Please see “Why Does ICP Collect Your Personal Information?” below.
We might need to collect other information for a specific form, feature, or other service that you may use or request. The content of such information will vary depending on the method of collection and the specific purpose(s) for which the information is being collected.
Your mobile or internet service providers may have a conflicting privacy notice or policy that permits them to capture, use and/or retain your Personal Information when you visit the Websites or use the Apps, but ICP is not responsible for and does not control how other parties may collect your Personal Information when you access the Websites or Apps.
WHY DOES ICP COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?ICP may collect, use and process your Personal Information in order to provide you with services, products or information that you request, conduct basic business operations and otherwise in accordance with this Privacy Notice, as you direct or with your consent.
If we collect other information for a specific form, feature, or other service that you may use or request, we will use the information for a purpose or purposes relevant to the particular form, feature or service. For information you provide, you will have the opportunity to decide whether or not to provide it. If you choose not to provide any of the Personal Information requested, ICP may be unable to complete your transaction, or provide the information, services or products you have requested. For information that is automatically collected, you can choose not to visit our Websites or use our Apps or Connected Products.
Except where used in support of a contract with you, to protect against fraud or investigate suspected or actual illegal activity or to fulfill or ensure compliance with a legal obligation, law enforcement investigation or regulatory request, our use of your Personal Information – whether contact information, basic product information, automatically collected information from our Websites and Apps or automatically collected information from your Connected Products – will be only for legitimate business interests as set out in this Privacy Notice.
We do not sell your Personal Information except with your explicit, up-front consent.
Contact, Basic Product and Automatically Collected Information from our Websites and Apps
Our purposes for collecting contact information, basic product information and automatically collected information from our Websites and Apps are to:
- Make our products, services, Websites and Apps available to you, including to authenticate you as a user and allow you access to certain areas of our Websites, Apps or social media sites.
- Improve our products, services, Websites and Apps, develop new offerings, provide customized services and content relevant to your specific needs and interests and, with respect to de-identified, aggregated information, for benchmarking, development of best practices and other research, statistical and marketing purposes.
- Analyze your behavior on our Websites and Apps, improve and personalize user experience and better prepare future content and features based upon your interests and those of our general user population.
- Communicate with you regarding product registration, product notifications, service reminders, requests to rate your HVAC contractor and review your products, and otherwise to market products and services that may be relevant to your HVAC needs.
Automatically Collected Information from Connected Products
Our purposes for collecting information from Connected Products are to:
- Make the product and related Websites and/or Apps available to you in accordance with the applicable End User License Agreement. For example:
- Environmental data from the product’s sensors, such as current temperature in the room, is collected to help your thermostat or control keep you comfortable when you are home and save energy when you are away.
- Video is transmitted from cameras so you can monitor and record the environment within your camera’s view. ICP does not store or see your video or images.
- Heating and cooling usage, equipment status and schedules you set are collected to make features such as usage history, service notifications and scheduling available to you, and to help improve performance, diagnostics and service by your HVAC contractor.
- Other technical information such as product model and serial number, software version and battery charge level are collected to improve your experience over time and help troubleshoot any problem you may encounter with your product.
- Improve our products and services, develop new offerings and, with respect to de-identified, aggregated information, for benchmarking, development of best practices and other research, statistical and marketing purposes.
If your Connected Product is installed in a jurisdiction that requires consent to data collection, by using the product, you consent to the data collection and usage outlined in this Privacy Notice and the applicable End User License Agreement.
WHERE IS PERSONAL INFORMATION STORED?
Because ICP is a global company with locations in many different countries, we may transfer your information from one legal entity to another or from one country to another within the ICP group of companies in order to accomplish the purposes listed above. These countries include, at a minimum, the United States, the member states of the European Union, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, and other countries, including some in Asia. We will transfer your Personal Information consistent with applicable legal requirements and only to the extent necessary for the purposes set out above.
ICP engages third-party service providers to provide data hosting, maintenance, management, support and other services. These third-party providers may be located in other countries than where you reside. ICP relies on available legal mechanisms to enable the legal transfer of Personal Information across borders (where required by applicable law). To the extent that ICP relies on the Standard Contractual Clauses (also called the Model Clauses) or Binding Corporate Rules to authorize transfer (where required by applicable law), ICP will comply with those requirements, including where there may be a conflict between those requirements and this Privacy Notice.
DOES ICP USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO CONTACT YOU?
ICP may use the Personal Information you provide to contact you about products, services, promotions, special offers, surveys, and other information that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive such communications, please use the “unsubscribe” function within the communication, Website or App, or let us know by sending an email to [email protected]ier.com with “UNSUBSCRIBE” as the subject line. Please note that if you unsubscribe from marketing communications, you may continue to receive communications about your account or transactions with us.
DOES ICP SHARE THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS WITH THIRD PARTIES?
ICP may share your Personal Information with our affiliated companies, such as companies in ICP’s group of companies, and/or companies in which ICP has control, through either direct or indirect ownership, for the purposes set out above. When we do so, your Personal Information will be shared in accordance with our Binding Corporate Rules.
- In addition, ICP will provide access to or share Personal Information on an as-needed basis with third parties, such as trusted service providers, consultants and contractors who are granted access to ICP facilities and systems or which provide services to ICP, and with government agencies and others as required by law. In particular, ICP will only share your Personal Information outside ICP to: Service providers, dealers, distributors, agents or contractors with whom ICP works or who service your equipment, such as your HVAC contractor. ICP is committed to contractually restricting third parties from using or disclosing the information except as necessary to perform services on our or your behalf or to comply with legal requirements;
- Connect you with a local HVAC contractor, for example, when you use the Build a System or Find a Dealer features on our Website. If you request an appointment, the dealer you select may contact you to schedule an appointment and for their own direct marketing purposes;
- Transfer automatically collected information from our Websites and Apps to online and app service providers such as Google, Facebook and others, for example when you click a link or open an app redirecting you to the third-party provider;
- Comply with legal obligations, including but not limited to complying with tax and regulatory obligations, sharing data with labor/trade unions and works councils, and responding to a court proceeding or a legitimate legal request from law enforcement authorities or other government regulators;
- Investigate suspected or actual illegal activity;
- Prevent physical harm or financial loss; or
- Support the sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets (including through bankruptcy).
Your Personal Information will also be maintained and processed by our service providers in the United States, the member states of the European Union, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, Asia, and in other jurisdictions within an appropriate legal and contractual framework.
REQUESTING AN APPOINTMENT
A user may have the option to request an appointment with a contractor online. To submit an online appointment request, you are asked to provide Personal Information to receive a response or some other service. The Personal Information requested includes your name, mobile phone number, email address, and home address. The collection of information will be transparent to you – you will be asked for it and will have the opportunity to decide whether or not to provide it. If you choose not to provide any of the Personal Information requested, ICP may be unable to complete the transaction you have requested. Users who submit an appointment request will receive emails and text (SMS) messages about their appointment including acknowledgement, confirmations, status updates, and ratings and review requests. To opt-out reply with text STOP. Text (SMS) message & data rates may apply. ICP will use the home address you provide to search our product registration database for previously registered equipment and provide a list of this equipment, warranty coverage, and warranty service history to the contactor you selected. The contractor uses this information to provide you with enhanced levels of technical support.
Ratings and Reviews
You may be asked to provide ratings or reviews of our products and services, as well as those of your HVAC contractor. If posted publicly to our Websites or Apps, or on third-party platforms, your review could potentially identify you. Our general guidelines on ratings and reviews are as follows:
You may not impersonate someone else (e.g., adopt the identity of a celebrity or your next-door neighbor) or create a review for anyone other than yourself. You alone are responsible for any material you may submit via our Websites (“Your Content”), and once published, it cannot always be withdrawn. You assume all risks associated with Your Content, including anyone’s reliance on its quality, accuracy, or reliability, or any disclosure by you of information in Your Content that makes you personally identifiable. You represent that you own, or have the necessary permissions to use and authorize the use of Your Content as described herein. You may not imply that Your Content is in any way sponsored or endorsed by ICP. You may expose yourself to liability if, for example, Your Content contains material that is false, intentionally misleading, or defamatory; violates any third-party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; contains material that is unlawful, including illegal hate speech or pornography; exploits or otherwise harms minors; or violates or advocates the violation of any law or regulation. Content submitted by others (including any that may have been created by users employed or contracted by ICP) does not necessarily reflect the opinion of ICP. We reserve the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate such content from time to time at our sole discretion for any reason or no reason, and without notice to you. For example, we may remove a review if we believe it violates the General Review Guidelines below. We have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of Your Content, nor do we guarantee any confidentiality with respect to Your Content. We may use Your Content in a number of different ways, including publicly displaying it, reformatting it, incorporating it into advertisements and other works (including social media), creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing others to do the same in connection with their own websites and media platforms (“Other Media”). As such, you hereby irrevocably grant us world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, assignable, sublicensable, transferable rights to use Your Content for any purpose. Please note that you also irrevocably grant the users of our Websites and any Other Media the right to access Your Content in connection with their use of the Website and any Other Media. Finally, you irrevocably waive, and cause to be waived, against ICP and its users any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to Your Content. By “use”; we mean use, copy, publicly perform and display, reproduce, distribute, modify, translate, remove, analyze, commercialize, and prepare derivative works of Your Content.
General Review Guidelines
- Inappropriate content: Threats, harassment, lewdness, hate speech, and other displays of bigotry are not permitted.
- Conflicts of interest: Your contributions should be unbiased and objective. For example, you shouldn’t write reviews of your own business or employer, your friends’ or relatives’ business, your peers or competitors in your industry, or businesses in your networking group. Business owners should not ask customers to write reviews.
- Promotional content: Unless you are using your business account to add content to your business’s profile page, you shouldn’t submit promotional content.
- Relevance: Please make sure your contributions are relevant and appropriate to the forum. For example, reviews should not be used to discuss a business’s employment practices, political ideologies, extraordinary circumstances, or other matters that do not address the core of the consumer experience.
- Privacy: Don’t publicize other people’s private information. Please don’t post close-up photos or videos of other individuals without their permission, and please don’t post other people’s full names unless you’re referring to service providers who are commonly identified by or commonly share their own full names.
- Intellectual property: All content must be your own.
- Demanding payment: Beyond simply asking for a refund to remedy a bad experience, you should not use removing or posting your review as a way to extract payment from a business, regardless of whether you’ve been a customer.
HOW DOES ICP SECURE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
ICP is committed to protecting the security and integrity of Personal Information. ICP has adopted reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to safeguard your Personal Information, including reasonable security features in its Connected Products. However, due to the nature of Internet communications, we cannot guarantee or warrant that transmission or storage of your Personal Information is secure.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The Personal Information you provide to ICP is only kept for as long as it is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, taking into account our need to comply with contractual obligations, resolve customer service issues, comply with legal requirements and provide new or improved services to users. This means that we may retain your Personal Information for a reasonable period after you stopped using our Website, App or Connected Product. After this period, your Personal Information will be deleted from all systems of ICP without notice.
HOW CAN YOU CORRECT, CHANGE OR DELETE YOUR INFORMATION HELD BY ICP?
You may request to access, update, correct, change, or delete your Personal Information at any time. ICP will use reasonable efforts to timely update and/or remove your Personal Information. To protect the user’s privacy and security, ICP will take steps to verify the user’s identity before provided access or making any requested change. To access, update, correct, change, or delete your Personal Information, or to ask questions or raise concerns regarding data protection and privacy, please send an email to [email protected]. Some of our Websites, Apps, and social media accounts allow you to make corrections directly without need to further contact ICP.
Please note that while we will assist you in protecting your Personal Information as outlined in this Privacy Notice, it is your responsibility to protect your passwords and other access credentials from others.
HOW CAN YOU CHANGE YOUR APP OR CONNECTED PRODUCT PRIVACY PREFERENCES?
Depending on your particular product and App, you can go to the privacy preference settings within the App or contact [email protected]. If you use a third-party app, you will need to review the privacy settings within that app or contact the applicable third party.
WHAT SHOULD YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIRD-PARTY LINKS, FEATURES AND SOLUTIONS THAT MAY BE USED ON OUR WEBSITES AND WITHIN OUR APPS AND EMAILS?
In some instances, ICP may provide links to and features from non-ICP controlled websites, and may integrate third-party solutions within our Website, Apps and emails to deliver a more streamlined experience. ICP does not control such third-party websites and solutions (whether linked or integrated within the Website), however, and is not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by third parties. Furthermore, this Privacy Notice does not govern information collected about you by third parties. The privacy policies of the following third parties featured or integrated within our Website, Apps and emails can be found by clicking the links attached to their respective names below:
Social Network Sites and Other Links
In addition, you may choose to enable access to Connected Product using a third-party app, which may then access your Personal Information and use it in accordance with the third party’s own privacy policies and practices. Please see “Does ICP Share the Information It Collects?” above.
In addition, ICP monitors user traffic patterns throughout its Websites according to a user's domain name, browser type, date and time of access, pages viewed and other Website interactions. Our Web servers collect the domain names but not the email addresses of visitors. This information is collected in order to measure the number of visitors to our Website and to determine which areas of the Website users find useful based upon the amount of traffic to particular areas and other interactions with the Website. ICP uses this information to enhance users’ experience at the Website and to better prepare future content based on the interests of users.
Our Web servers automatically collect the domain names but not the email addresses of visitors. However, if you provide an email address or other Personal Information to us, we may tie your Personal Information with information collected via cookies.
This Website may also use web beacons. A web beacon is usually a pixel on a website that can be used to track whether a user has visited a particular website to deliver targeted advertising. Web beacons are used in combination with cookies, which means that, if you turn off your browser's cookies, the web beacons will not be able to track your activity. The web beacon will still count as a website visit, but your unique information will not be recorded.
Information collected by web beacons may include IP address information (see below). Web beacon information is also used for:
- Advertising and email auditing, and reporting;
- Site traffic reporting; and
- Unique visitor counts.
If you provide an email address or other Personal Information to us, we may tie your Personal Information with information collected via web beacons.
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that is used by computers on the network to identify your computer every time you log on to the Internet.
ICP may collect and keep track of IP addresses to, among other things:
- Maintain Website safety and security;
- Restrict access to our Websites to certain users;
- Troubleshoot technical issues; and
- Better understand how ICP Websites are used.
If you provide an email address or other Personal Information to us, we may tie your Personal Information with your IP address.
ICP (or third parties on behalf of ICP) may collect information in the form of log files that are recording Website activities and statistics about web users' habits.
Log files are used for internal purposes only. By using log files, ICP can constantly improve and customize its Website and Apps.
The entries help us gather, among other things:
- Internal marketing and demographic studies;
- A user’s browser type and operating system;
- Information about a user’s session (such as the URL, the date and time our Website was visited and which pages were viewed on our Website and for how long); and
- Other similar navigational or click-stream data.
If you provide an email address or other Personal Information to us, we may tie your Personal Information with information collected via log files.
Social Network Information
Social network information is any information that you permit a third-party social network to share with us. Social network information includes any information that is part of your profile on a third-party social network. Such social networks may include, but are not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.
To find out how your information from a social network may be obtained by us (or other third parties), please go on the settings page of the relevant social network. Furthermore, you acknowledge that we may use your Personal Information to match information with a social network for advertising purposes and otherwise tie your Personal Information with your social network information consistent with this Privacy Notice.
ICP cannot make assurances about the security of information that you share with third parties, including information you share with social media sites.
For more information about cookies and other tracking technologies, click here.
HOW MAY ICP USE LOCATION DATA?
Location data can generally be broken into two categories: static data, such as your current home address or zip code, and dynamic data, such as IP address, MAC address, GPS or similar technologies.
ICP uses static location data, such as your zip code, in the same ways as any other contact information.
Thermostat/control schedules and other presence data settings, such as whether your HVAC equipment is set to home or away, are used in the same ways as other automatically collected information from Connected Products.
In addition, if geofencing is available with your product and turned on, dynamic location data is used so your thermostat or control can adjust the temperature based on whether you (specifically, your mobile device) is within or outside the vicinity surrounding your home.
WHAT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SHOULD SPECIFIC USERS KNOW?
Parents, Guardians, and Children: Our Apps and Websites are intended for visitors who are at least 18 years of age, or the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence. ICP does not knowingly solicit information from, or market products or services to, children. If you do not meet the age requirements set out above, please do not enter your Personal Information on our Websites or Apps.
Users from California: If you are a resident of California, effective January 1, 2020, you have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), including the right to:
- know what categories of personal information about you we have collected and used, including how the personal information was collected and the purpose for the collection and use;
- know what categories of personal information are being sold or disclosed to third parties and, if sold or disclosed, the categories of third parties receiving it;
- access specific personal information collected about you; and
- request that your personal information be deleted.
Requests to exercise rights under the CCPA are subject to verification by ICP and are also subject to certain restrictions provided by the CCPA. We will not discriminate against California residents for exercising any of their applicable CCPA rights. While California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of their personal information under the CCPA, ICP does not sell personal information to third parties except with your explicit, up-front consent. If our practices change, we will update this Privacy Notice and take any necessary action to comply with applicable law.
California residents who wish to exercise their CCPA rights can contact ICP at [email protected] or use the webform located here. You can also contact us at 1-833-617-0050. When contacting us to exercise your rights, please put “California Privacy Rights” in the subject and body of your request and describe the nature of your request.
Annually California residents may request and obtain information that ICP shared with other businesses for their own direct marketing use within the prior calendar year (as defined by California’s “Shine the Light Law”). If applicable, this information would include a list of the categories of Personal Information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties with which ICP shared this information in the immediately preceding calendar year. To obtain this information, please send an email message to [email protected] with “California Shine the Light Privacy Request” in the subject line as well as in the body of your message.
Users from the European Union and other countries with privacy laws: You have the right to lodge a complaint with your national or state data protection authority, which may also be known as a supervisory authority. You also have the right to: (i) request access to and correction or erasure of your Personal Information; (ii) seek restrictions on; or (iii) object to the processing of certain Personal Information, and seek data portability under certain circumstances. To contact ICP about a request to access, correct, erase, object or seek restrictions or portability, please use the contact methods indicated at the end of this Privacy Notice.
strong>How might ICP change this Privacy Notice?
As ICP expands and improves its Websites, Apps and Connected Products, or as legal requirements change, we may need to update this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice may be modified from time to time without prior notice. The date of the latest version will be identified at the bottom of the notice. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice on a regular basis for any changes.
HOW CAN YOU CONTACT ICP?
If you have any comments or questions about this Privacy Notice or about ICP’s privacy practices in general, or if you wish to access, update, correct, change or delete your Personal Information, please email [email protected].
In the event that you are located in a country that is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation and would like to contact the local Data Protection Officer, please note that in your email and your inquiry will be directed to the appropriate person. If you wish to opt-out from sharing your Personal Information with us or have your Personal Information be removed, you should follow this link.
Last updated on April 17, 2020